Chicago General Contractors
Whether you are a home or business owner at some point you will need to work with a general contractor if you plan on doing any construction for your house, condo, or business.
R&R Chicago Design-Build is a licensed and insured general contractor (TCG114108) in the city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs.
Do you already have a set of architectural plans by a licensed architect? If not we can still help you with our design-build services.
View our project gallery to see some of our recent work.
What is a General Contractor?
A general contractor is a professional responsible for overseeing and managing construction projects from start to finish. They play a crucial role in coordinating and organizing all aspects of the construction process, including planning, budgeting, scheduling, hiring subcontractors, obtaining permits, and ensuring that the project is completed within the specified time frame and budget.
General contractors act as the main point of contact for the client or property owner, and they communicate with architects, engineers, suppliers, and subcontractors to ensure that everyone is working together effectively. They are responsible for interpreting and implementing the project plans, coordinating the various trades and subcontractors involved, and making sure that the work is done according to industry standards and building codes.
Some of the key responsibilities of a general contractor include:
- Project management: They oversee the entire project, including scheduling, budgeting, and resource allocation.
- Planning and coordination: They collaborate with architects, engineers, and designers to develop project plans, obtain necessary permits, and coordinate the work of different trades.
- Hiring subcontractors: They select and manage subcontractors such as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and painters, ensuring that they are qualified, licensed, and complete their work satisfactorily.
- Budgeting and cost control: They estimate project costs, prepare budgets, and monitor expenses to keep the project within the allocated budget.
- Quality control: They ensure that work is completed to the required standards and specifications, conducting inspections and addressing any issues or defects that arise during construction.
- Communication and client management: They serve as the primary point of contact for the client, providing regular updates, addressing concerns, and managing expectations.
In summary, a general contractor is a construction professional who manages and coordinates all aspects of a construction project to ensure its successful completion within budget, on schedule, and to the client’s satisfaction.
When do you need a general contractor?
You typically need a general contractor when you have a construction project that requires the coordination and management of multiple trades and subcontractors. Here are some situations where hiring a general contractor is beneficial:
1. New construction: If you are building a new structure such as a house, office building, or commercial facility, a general contractor can oversee the entire project, from obtaining permits and coordinating architectural and engineering plans to managing construction and ensuring compliance with building codes.
2. Renovations or remodels: When undertaking significant renovations or remodeling projects that involve multiple trades, such as updating a kitchen or bathroom, adding an extension, or renovating an entire building, a general contractor can handle the coordination of various subcontractors and ensure that the work progresses smoothly.
3. Commercial projects: For commercial construction projects, such as retail spaces, restaurants, or office complexes, a general contractor is essential to manage the complexities of the project, including coordinating specialized trades, complying with commercial building codes, and adhering to specific industry requirements.
4. Large-scale projects: Any construction project that involves multiple trades, extensive coordination, and significant scope of work can benefit from the expertise of a general contractor. They can handle the logistical challenges, streamline communication, and ensure efficient project management.
5. Time and resource constraints: If you have limited time or resources to devote to managing a construction project yourself, a general contractor can take on the responsibility of overseeing the project, allowing you to focus on other aspects of your life or business.
It’s important to note that the need for a general contractor may vary depending on the size, complexity, and requirements of your specific project. For smaller or straightforward projects, you may be able to manage them yourself or hire individual subcontractors directly. However, for larger and more intricate projects, a general contractor can provide valuable expertise and ensure the project’s smooth execution.
At R&R Chicago Design-Build, we believe that your space should reflect your personality and style. We are a boutique firm and work with a small but talented team of designers, architects, engineers, and tradesmen who work together to bring your vision to life. Read more about us here.
WHY CHOOSE US:
R&R Chicago provides you with a simple, informative, and transparent Design & Pricing process.
Our process ensures you will get a finished product you are satisfied with.
Design-Build General Contractor Process
Prospective new clients will fill out an intake form with as much information as possible.
Our team will review your submitted form and check to make sure we have the availability, resources, and fit for your project. We will set up a call to learn more about you, your family, and needs.
Our consultations are about 30 minutes long and we use this time to go over a range of topics to understand your goals and vision.
If after our consultation, we are in alignment and both parties feel that we are a good fit, we will set up a walkthrough on site. We’ll take measurements, photos, and show you what we can do. We’ll then create an estimate and send a Design proposal that includes a conceptual budget based on our initial meeting.
The Design & Planning phase begins with an in-person discovery with our General Contractor, Interior Designer and Architect (if applicable). We thoroughly investigate your business, take all necessary measurements, and dive into the details of your scope of work.
Learn More About Our Process Here