Chicago Home Renovation
If you are a homeowner chances are at some point you will want to renovate your home.
R&R Chicago Design-Build is a licensed and insured general contractor (TCG114108) in the city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs.
We provide concept to completion services from helping you an initial conceptual budget to walking through your newly renovated home, we’re with you every step of the way.
View our project gallery to see some of our recent work.
What is a Home Renovation?
A home renovation refers to the process of making significant changes, improvements, or modifications to an existing residential property. It involves updating or upgrading various aspects of the home, such as its structure, design, functionality, or aesthetics. Home renovations can range from minor cosmetic updates to extensive remodeling projects that involve altering the layout or structure of the property.
The scope of a home renovation can vary based on the homeowner’s goals, budget, and the condition of the property. Some common areas that are often addressed during home renovations include:
- Kitchen: Renovating the kitchen may involve installing new cabinets, countertops, appliances, flooring, lighting, or reconfiguring the layout to enhance functionality and aesthetics.
- Bathroom: Bathroom renovations can include updating fixtures, replacing tiles, installing new vanities, upgrading plumbing, adding features such as a bathtub or shower, or enhancing accessibility.
- Flooring: Changing or upgrading the flooring throughout the home, such as replacing carpet with hardwood or installing new tiles, can significantly impact the overall look and feel of the space.
- Paint and wall finishes: Applying fresh paint or new wall finishes can instantly transform the appearance of a room and give it a refreshed and updated look.
- Electrical and plumbing: Upgrading electrical systems, rewiring, installing new lighting fixtures, or improving plumbing infrastructure are common aspects of home renovations that ensure safety, efficiency, and functionality.
- Structural changes: In some cases, home renovations involve making structural changes, such as removing or adding walls, expanding rooms, or creating open-concept spaces to achieve a more desirable layout.
- Exterior improvements: Renovations can extend to the exterior of the home, including updating the siding, roof, windows, doors, landscaping, or adding outdoor features such as decks, patios, or pools.
- Energy efficiency upgrades: Many homeowners opt for energy-efficient upgrades during renovations, such as installing new windows, insulation, or upgrading HVAC systems to reduce energy consumption and lower utility costs.
Home renovations provide homeowners an opportunity to customize their living space, improve functionality, and increase property value. It is essential to plan and budget for a renovation project carefully, considering factors such as desired outcomes, timeline, cost estimates, and hiring professionals if necessary.
How Much Does A Home Renovation Cost?
The cost of a home renovation can vary significantly depending on various factors, including the scope of the project, the size of the home, the location, the materials used, and the level of finishes desired. Home renovations can range from small-scale updates to extensive remodels, so it’s challenging to provide an exact cost without specific details. However, here are some general guidelines and average cost ranges for different types of home renovations:
- Minor cosmetic updates: If you’re looking to make minor cosmetic changes such as repainting walls, replacing fixtures, or updating flooring, the cost can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, depending on the size of the area being renovated and the quality of materials chosen.
- Kitchen renovation: Kitchen renovations tend to be more involved and costly due to the need for appliances, cabinetry, countertops, and often electrical and plumbing work. The cost of a kitchen renovation can vary greatly, but a moderate renovation can range from $20,000 to $40,000, while a high-end renovation can exceed $50,000 or more.
- Bathroom renovation: Bathroom renovations can also have a wide cost range depending on the level of upgrades and finishes. A basic bathroom renovation may cost around $10,000 to $25,000, while a more extensive renovation with high-end materials and fixtures can cost $30,000 or more.
- Full home remodel: A comprehensive home remodel that involves significant structural changes, such as removing or adding walls, updating electrical and plumbing systems, and remodeling multiple rooms, can be a substantial investment. The cost of a full home remodel can vary significantly, ranging from $50,000 to several hundred thousand dollars, depending on the size of the home and the extent of the renovations.
It’s important to note that these are rough estimates, and costs can vary based on factors specific to your situation. Additionally, labor costs, contractor fees, permit fees, and unforeseen issues during the renovation process can also impact the overall cost. To get a more accurate cost estimate for your specific renovation project, it’s best to consult with Chicago General Contractors, obtain multiple quotes, and thoroughly plan and budget for your renovation based on your specific goals and requirements.
How long does a home renovation take?
The duration of a home renovation project can vary significantly depending on several factors, including the scope of the renovation, the size of the home, the complexity of the work, and external factors such as weather conditions or permit approvals. While it’s challenging to provide an exact timeline without specific project details, here are some general guidelines regarding the duration of home renovations:
- Minor cosmetic updates: Small-scale renovations, such as repainting walls, replacing fixtures, or updating flooring in a single room, can typically be completed within a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on the size and complexity of the area being renovated.
- Kitchen or bathroom renovation: Renovating a kitchen or bathroom can take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months, depending on the extent of the renovation. Factors that can influence the duration include the complexity of plumbing and electrical work, the need for custom cabinetry or countertops, and the availability of materials and subcontractors.
- Room additions or structural changes: Home renovations involving structural changes, such as adding a room or removing walls, tend to be more time-consuming. These projects can range from a few weeks for smaller additions to several months for more extensive renovations that require architectural planning, permits, and significant construction work.
- Full home remodel: A comprehensive home remodel, where multiple rooms are renovated or significant changes are made to the home’s layout, can take several months or even a year to complete. The duration will depend on the size of the home, the complexity of the renovations, and the availability of materials and contractors.
It’s important to keep in mind that unexpected issues, such as encountering hidden problems during construction or delays in material deliveries, can impact the timeline of a renovation project. It’s advisable to work closely with your contractor, establish clear project milestones and deadlines, and maintain regular communication to ensure the project stays on track.
When planning a home renovation, it’s essential to allow for some flexibility in the timeline and consider potential disruptions to your daily routine during the construction phase. Working with experienced professionals and thoroughly planning the project can help minimize delays and ensure a smoother renovation process.
At R&R Chicago Design-Build, we believe that your space should reflect your personality and style. We are a boutique firm and work with a small but talented team of designers, architects, engineers, and tradesmen who work together to bring your vision to life. Read more about us here.
WHY CHOOSE US:
R&R Chicago provides you with a simple, informative, and transparent Design & Pricing process. Our process ensures you will get a finished product you are satisfied with.
Design-Build Home Renovation Process
Prospective new clients will fill out an intake form with as much information as possible.
Our team will review your submitted form and check to make sure we have the availability, resources, and fit for your project. We will set up a call to learn more about you, your family, and needs.
Our consultations are about 30 minutes long and we use this time to go over a range of topics to understand your goals and vision.
If after our consultation, we are in alignment and both parties feel that we are a good fit, we will set up a walkthrough on site. We’ll take measurements, photos, and show you what we can do. We’ll then create an estimate and send a Design proposal that includes a conceptual budget based on our initial meeting.
The Design & Planning phase begins with an in-person discovery with our General Contractor, Interior Designer and Architect (if applicable). We thoroughly investigate your business, take all necessary measurements, and dive into the details of your scope of work.
Learn More About Our Process Here