We’ve created a simple, transparent, and effective process for companies looking to renovate or build out new office spaces.
Architects, designers, and construction managers work with you in designing, budgeting, and planning your office construction project for a smooth turnaround.
View our project gallery to see some of our recent work.
Office Construction Services
Here’s how we can help with your next office build out
We can create a conceptual estimate to help you decide whether or not your project is feasible or we can create an estimate based on a set of architectural plans.
For complex projects that require more due diligence we can provide feasibility studies, structural or MEP analysis, etc.
One-stop shop to envision, design, plan, and build your next office.
For prospective clients who already have a set of stamped plans we may take on your project depending on availability.
Office Build Outs
Building out an office from a vanilla boxed space.
Converting an existing commercial space to a new office space.
How Much Does Office Construction Cost In Chicago?
Lower-cost remodels could involve updating cosmetic materials such as tile, painting, lighting, etc. Your estimated cost will go up depending on the scope of work you have. For higher cost remodels you’d be looking at building out a restaurant from scratch or completely renovating and updating a building. On average costs range anywhere from $75-$200/sq ft. For new construction that cost increases even higher.
How Long Does Office Construction Take?
According to our process, on-site construction can last anywhere from 6-24 weeks, with an average of 12-16 weeks, depending on the type of project and scope of work.
Our clients can easily follow project updates through our owners portal which gives clients access to photos, reports, change orders, and team communications.
How to plan an office remodel?
Planning an office renovation requires careful consideration and preparation to ensure a successful outcome. Here are some steps to help you plan an office renovation:
- Define your goals and objectives: Start by identifying the reasons for the renovation. Are you aiming to improve the functionality of the space, enhance aesthetics, accommodate growth, or incorporate new technologies? Clearly defining your goals will guide the entire planning process.
- Determine your budget: Establish a realistic budget for the renovation project. Consider factors such as construction costs, permits, design fees, furniture, and any other expenses that may arise. It’s important to allocate a contingency fund for unexpected costs that may arise during the renovation process.
- Assess the current space: Evaluate your existing office space to understand its strengths, weaknesses, and limitations. Consider the layout, infrastructure, lighting, ventilation, and any structural or code compliance issues. Identify areas that require improvement or modifications.
- Engage professionals: Depending on the scope of your renovation, consider hiring professionals such as architects, interior designers, or general contractors. They can provide valuable insights, help with space planning, create designs, obtain necessary permits, and oversee the construction process.
- Develop a renovation plan: Work with your design professionals to develop a comprehensive renovation plan. This should include space layout, floor plans, electrical and lighting plans, material selection, color schemes, furniture requirements, and any necessary structural changes. Ensure that the plan aligns with your goals, budget, and any specific regulations or building codes.
- Obtain necessary permits: Check with local authorities to determine if any permits or approvals are required for the renovation. Work with your design professionals to prepare the necessary documentation and submit permit applications in a timely manner.
- Create a project timeline: Develop a realistic timeline for your renovation project. Consider factors such as design development, permit acquisition, material procurement, and construction duration. Identify critical milestones and establish a schedule that accounts for potential delays or unforeseen circumstances.
- Coordinate with employees and stakeholders: Communicate with your employees and other stakeholders about the upcoming renovation. Inform them about the timeline, potential disruptions, and any temporary workspace arrangements that may be necessary. Involve them in the planning process by seeking their input on aspects such as layout or furniture choices, if appropriate.
- Plan for temporary workspace: If the renovation will render parts of the office unusable, plan for temporary workspace arrangements. Identify alternative locations, set up temporary offices, or make arrangements for remote work during the construction period.
- Execute the renovation: Once all the planning is in place, execute the renovation according to the established timeline. Maintain regular communication with the design professionals and contractors to ensure progress aligns with the plan. Monitor the budget closely and address any issues or changes promptly.
- Post-renovation evaluation: After the renovation is complete, evaluate the outcome against your initial goals and objectives. Seek feedback from employees and stakeholders to identify areas of improvement or further adjustments that may be required.
Remember, each office renovation is unique, and the process may vary depending on the scale and complexity of your project. Working with experienced professionals and involving key stakeholders throughout the planning process will help ensure a successful office renovation.
Working with a design-build firm like us can help streamline this process by delegating all of these tasks and more to help you save time and money.
At R&R Chicago Design-Build, we believe that your space should reflect your personality and style. We are a boutique firm and work with a small but talented team of designers, architects, engineers, and tradesmen who work together to bring your vision to life. Read more about us here.
WHY CHOOSE US:
R&R Chicago provides you with a simple, informative, and transparent Design & Pricing process.
Our process ensures you will get a finished product you are satisfied with.
Office Design-Build Process
Prospective new clients will fill out an intake form with as much information as possible.
Our team will review your submitted form and check to make sure we have the availability, resources, and fit for your project. We will set up a call to learn more about you, your family, and needs.
Our consultations are about 30 minutes long and we use this time to go over a range of topics to understand your goals and vision.
If after our consultation, we are in alignment and both parties feel that we are a good fit, we will set up a walkthrough on site. We’ll take measurements, photos, and show you what we can do. We’ll then create an estimate and send a Design proposal that includes a conceptual budget based on our initial meeting.
The Design & Planning phase begins with an in-person discovery with our General Contractor, Interior Designer and Architect (if applicable). We thoroughly investigate your business, take all necessary measurements, and dive into the details of your scope of work.
Learn More About Our Process Here